Constipation and Homeopathy
It is said that 80% of ones immunity lies in the gut .
Constipation is one such common symptom which can hamper our daily routine and ease.
Most of us have faced this symptom some time in our lives but what is the exact meaning of constipation ??
You are said to have constipation if you have two or more of following for atleast 3months :
- Straining during a bowel movement more than 25% of the time
- Hard stools more than 25% of the time
- Incomplete evacuation more than 25% of the time.
- Passing stools twice or even less in a week.
Common causes of Constipation are :
- Inadequate fibre or roughage in your diet
- Inadequate fluid intake
- Irregular diet and frequent travelling
- Not going for stools when the urge is there…very common in children and adults
- Neurological conditions like parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Overuse of laxatives which over time weaken the bowel muscles
- Colon cancer
- Drugs like iron tablets etc…
- Bloated feeling of abdomen
- Uneasiness and pain in the lower abdomen.
- Difficulty in passing stools
- Vomiting occ
Most of the time a change is our lifestyle helps in relieving constipation but sometimes investigations are required .
- Colonoscopy to look for obstruction in the large intestine.
- Blood test to rule out Thyroid function.
- Barium studies
Homeopathy has an important role to play in treating Constipation. Homeopathic medicines gently bring back the funcitoning of the bowels back to normal.It not only improves the stool but also regularises the bowel movements and reduces the dependency on laxatives and purgatives.
Constitutional Homoeopathic medicines treats the cause of constipation and hence improves the overall health of the indivual.
Few Homeopathic remedies for constipation :
- NUX VOM : Constipation due to irregular lifestyle and irregular eating habits. Stressful ,hurry worry routine in ambitious and workholic people.Stools are incomplete with ineffectual urge to go stools often.
- SULPHUR : Incomplete stools ,have to rush to the toilet as soon as he gets up .Also insufficient and unsatisfactory stools . Stools are dry ,hard and have to strain especially initially with burning and itching at the anus.
- Bryonia :Large, dry, hard ,knotted stool as if burnt is the book picture of Bryonia.No urge for stool and dryness of the rectum. stools are passed with great difficulty.Often helpful in children with constipation .
- OPIUM : Here the constipation is due to absolute inactivity of the rectum.No urge whatsoever and slow peristalsis.Stools are impacted,hard,dry black balls.
- PLUMBUM MET: Here there is some intestinal activity.Lead colic is one of the effects of the drug.There is loss of muscular activity and diminished secretion of intestinal glands.
- ALUMINA : one of the important medicines for constipation where even soft stool needs straining.Dryness of the rectum with diminished peristaltic movement.very useful for constipation of infants and children
Many patients suffering from constipation have been treated successfully at ‘Care N Cure” Homoeopathic clinic.Also these Homoeopathic medicines are not habit forming.
However, the importance of balanced regular diet,exercise and lots of fluids cannot be overemphasized when it come to managing constipation . So, it is suggested that people suffering from constipation will definately find solution in Homeopathy.
Disha is a Direction of Hope for a better world for people with Disabilities. Having Founded in 1999, Disha charitable trust runs Special school and Autism Centre , Community based rehabilitation program and Vocational training for people with special needs. Over the years, Disha has established itself as a premiere institution in India providing comprehensive and wide range of services under one roof for people with Autism, Downs syndrome, Cerebral palsy and Multiple disabilities.
As part of an annual activity, Disha School organizes a Medical Camp every year . The medical camp for 2014 was conducted on 14 th Dec 2014 . Medical experts like Paediatricians , Opthalmologists, Ent specialists, Dentists, Homeopathic consultants and Audiology technician were on the panel . Patients were given free of cost medication, knee gaiters, hand calipers , audio aids etc.
Not only children from Disha School are benefited, but our Special educators identify such patients from slums of Vadodara and adjoining rural areas and extend the benefits of this medical camp to them.
I am honored to contribute as a Homeopathic doctor in these camps since last 5 years. Homoeopathy helps in improving the patients immunity so that he /she does not catch recurrent infections, and also help in improving the development of the child , as well as their adaptability to their surroundings. Also , as they are safe , easy to administer and without any side effects, Homoeopathy is a preferred choice amongst many now!
I would like to extend the benefit of an annual medical camp further , by conducting regular follow ups once a month. i.e on every first Wednesday of the month between 9 a.m to 10a.m.
Enclosed is a snippet of ‘Maitree’, the magazine,a Bulletin of Rotary Club of Baroda, which covered the event, apart from various local news channels and newspapers.
Diabetes and Homoeopathy
Diabetes is one of the critical and widely spread diseases among all of the other diseases today that India is concerned about. It is a chronic, lifelong condition affecting our body’s ability to use the energy found in food because of elevated blood sugars for months to years caused by an absolute or relative lack of insulin not being produced by the pancreas for the body’s need. It can also be because of both hereditary and environmental factors leading to its development and progression. World Health Organization forecasts that India will have the largest number of diabetics in the world by 2025. There are more than 20 million diabetics currently, which are expected to increase to around 60 million by 2025. In India, there may number of events of diabetes not diagnosed in remote rural areas.
Diabetes can be controlled with diet, exercise, healthy lifestyle and conventional medicines, insulin is often used as a replacement therapy in the treatment of diabetes. Homoeopathy is a very popular alternative medicine method to treat such a life-long disease condition. In homoeopathy, rather, medicines are based on totality of symptoms. A detailed case taking must be done to arrive at the right homoeopathic remedy. While treating insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, insulin is not stopped immediately but it is slowly tapered. Routine monitoring with Glycosalyted Hb helps to make any prognosis.
In homoeopathy, treatment approach for diabetes mellitus is strictly individualizing for every single case. Physical as well as mental and constitutional symptoms are analyzed thoroughly for any homoeopathic remedies. Given under are some required monitoring criteria:
a) Fasting and postprandial blood glucose levels.
b) Glycosylated hemoglobin for long term control.
c) Lipid level.
d) Routine urine for albumin to rule out diabetic nephropathy.
e) Creatinine levels.
f) Regular eyes check up for diabetic retinopathy.
g) Routine blood pressure.
Although specific medicines like Szygium J, Cephalandric ,Abroma augustra etc … are available which help in reducing the blood sugar levels quickly,they act as a palliative…or like a temporary medicine… it is like prescribing Homeopathy in allopathic way. And the patient will land up with the same complaints again and again.
But when the medicine is prescribed by considering the totality of the patient, his disposition , his nature , the stresses he has undergone and his reaction to them and considering the pathology( Miasm) , then and only then can he be truly cured…this kind of cure will not leave any weakness in the system .The blood sugars especially the fasting will gradually first reduce followed by the post prandial. If the patient is already on antidiabetic medicines or insulin, then they are slowly tapered down.
A thorough knowledge of the disease, preventing the complications and hence a regular check up of other organs like kidney, eyes and nerves , regular monitoring of blood sugar levels, appropriate diet and exercises, all need to be included when we treat diabetes m with homoeopathy.
HOMOEOPATHY FOR MENOPAUSE
A lot has been talked about Menopause and its vague symptoms and so commonly I am asked , whether Homoeopathy has any remedy for Menopause.!! And the answer is undoubtedly YES !!
As we all know ,
Menopause is the time in a woman’s life when she stops having menstrual periods permanently.
It’s one of the natural stages in a woman’s life in which the body adapts gradually to the changes of ovarian decline. It is not a disease but a natural transition, just like starting the menstrual cycle during puberty. Instead of gearing up for pregnancy and childbirth, the reproductive system is gradually winding down. As we age, the ovaries will produce less and less oestrogen until they produce so little oestrogen that menstruating ceases altogether – usually in the early 50.
It takes place around the age of 50 in most women,but can also occur at the age of 40. At the time of menopause, many changes occur in the body.For some women, this may be an asymptomatic process, but for the majority, symptoms do vary. Symptoms, such as:
- Vaso dilatory -Hot flushes,common in about 75% women
- Profuse sweating
- Mood swings,irritability
- Sleep disturbance.
- Painful intercourse,vaginitis,vaginal dryness.
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Hair loss,dry skin
. Over the years, the changes also raise a woman’s risk of serious health problems. These include:
- the bone-thinning disease called osteoporosis
- high cholesterol
- heart disease.
- The most common treatment for menopause is to make up for the body’s reduced production of estrogen. This is done by giving prescription medicines. This approach is known as hormone replacement therapy, or HRT.
HRT for menopause is quite controversial, even in the allopathic medical world, because of the serious health risks and undesirable “side effects” of taking estrogen. Its long-term safety and efficacy remain a matter of great concern. Their own list of concerns includes:
The most common side affects:
- weight gain,
- irritability and, rarely, depression.
- For the first three to six months, vaginal spotting occurs in 30% to 50% of women taking continuous estrogen and progestin.
- the increased risk of developing breast cancer (by 25% and worse in women if there is current cancer or a family history), and
- Uterine cancer by up to eight fold in women with an intact uterus;
- Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding;
- Acute liver disease;
- Gall bladder disease;
- Pancreatic disease;
- blood clots;
- Heart attack.
From a homeopathic perspective it is important to establish the underlying causes of why women are struggling through the menopause with all kinds of distressing symptoms. Some the main causes can be found in the following:
- synthetic oestrogens and progesterone.
Homeopathy along with diet, nutrition and herbs can rebalance the female hormonal system that is profoundly affected by the use of synthetic oestrogens and progesterone (as found in contraceptive pills and HRT).
Homeopathy is the safest treatment before, during, and after menopause because it stimulates the natural hormonal balance without the use of harmful drugs. Constitutional homeopathic treatment is best during the transitional period of menopause in order to balance hormonal levels and cure the many accompanying symptoms. You cannot address the complex of these symptoms as separate from the whole individual; for this reason true classical homeopathic prescribing is highly recommended for the treatment of menopause.
Some of the commonly prescribed Homoeopathic medicines fore menopause are :
LACH, CIMICIFUGA, GRAPHITES , IGNATIA, KALI CARB, PULSTAILLA and many more. Each of these and many other medicines need to be differentiated and then prescribed.
A practically trained homeopath will use a structured, systematic and non-invasive approach which supports the natural self-healing process to rebalance the endocrine system so that symptoms ease and fade away.