Constipation and Homeopathy
It is said that 80% of ones immunity lies in the gut .
Constipation is one such common symptom which can hamper our daily routine and ease.
Most of us have faced this symptom some time in our lives but what is the exact meaning of constipation ??
You are said to have constipation if you have two or more of following for atleast 3months :
- Straining during a bowel movement more than 25% of the time
- Hard stools more than 25% of the time
- Incomplete evacuation more than 25% of the time.
- Passing stools twice or even less in a week.
Common causes of Constipation are :
- Inadequate fibre or roughage in your diet
- Inadequate fluid intake
- Irregular diet and frequent travelling
- Not going for stools when the urge is there…very common in children and adults
- Neurological conditions like parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Overuse of laxatives which over time weaken the bowel muscles
- Colon cancer
- Drugs like iron tablets etc…
- Bloated feeling of abdomen
- Uneasiness and pain in the lower abdomen.
- Difficulty in passing stools
- Vomiting occ
Most of the time a change is our lifestyle helps in relieving constipation but sometimes investigations are required .
- Colonoscopy to look for obstruction in the large intestine.
- Blood test to rule out Thyroid function.
- Barium studies
Homeopathy has an important role to play in treating Constipation. Homeopathic medicines gently bring back the funcitoning of the bowels back to normal.It not only improves the stool but also regularises the bowel movements and reduces the dependency on laxatives and purgatives.
Constitutional Homoeopathic medicines treats the cause of constipation and hence improves the overall health of the indivual.
Few Homeopathic remedies for constipation :
- NUX VOM : Constipation due to irregular lifestyle and irregular eating habits. Stressful ,hurry worry routine in ambitious and workholic people.Stools are incomplete with ineffectual urge to go stools often.
- SULPHUR : Incomplete stools ,have to rush to the toilet as soon as he gets up .Also insufficient and unsatisfactory stools . Stools are dry ,hard and have to strain especially initially with burning and itching at the anus.
- Bryonia :Large, dry, hard ,knotted stool as if burnt is the book picture of Bryonia.No urge for stool and dryness of the rectum. stools are passed with great difficulty.Often helpful in children with constipation .
- OPIUM : Here the constipation is due to absolute inactivity of the rectum.No urge whatsoever and slow peristalsis.Stools are impacted,hard,dry black balls.
- PLUMBUM MET: Here there is some intestinal activity.Lead colic is one of the effects of the drug.There is loss of muscular activity and diminished secretion of intestinal glands.
- ALUMINA : one of the important medicines for constipation where even soft stool needs straining.Dryness of the rectum with diminished peristaltic movement.very useful for constipation of infants and children
Many patients suffering from constipation have been treated successfully at ‘Care N Cure” Homoeopathic clinic.Also these Homoeopathic medicines are not habit forming.
However, the importance of balanced regular diet,exercise and lots of fluids cannot be overemphasized when it come to managing constipation . So, it is suggested that people suffering from constipation will definately find solution in Homeopathy.
Cholesterol Reducing Drugs
In continuation with my previous article ‘FACTS ABOUT CHOLESTEROL’, let us now know more about the medication used for reducing the cholesterol levels.
The first line of treatment for abnormal cholesterol is usually to eat a diet low in saturated and trans fats, and high in fruits and vegetables, nuts, and seeds, and to increase exercise. But for some, these changes alone are not enough to lower blood cholesterol levels; they also may need medicine to bring down their cholesterol to a safe level.
Conventional medicine which act as Cholesterol-lowering drugs include:
- Bile-acid resins
- Fibric acid derivatives
- Cholesterol absorption inhibitors
Cholesterol-lowering medicine is most effective when combined with a healthy diet and exercise.
1. How Do Statins Work?
Statins block the production of cholesterol in the liver itself. They lower LDL, the “bad” cholesterol, and triglycerides, and have a mild effect in raising HDL, the “good” cholesterol. These drugs are the first line of treatment for most people with high cholesterol. Statins have been shown in multiple research studies to reduce the risk of cardiovascular events like heart attacks and death from heart disease. Side effects can include intestinal problems, liver damage, and muscle inflammation.
Statins also carry warnings that memory loss, mental confusion, high blood sugar, and type 2 diabetes are possible side effects. It’s important to remember that statins may also interact with other medications you take.
Patients who are pregnant or who have active or chronic liver disease should not take statins.
Examples of statins include:
- Atorvastatin (Lipitor)
- Fluvastatin (Lescol)
- Lovastatin (Mevacor)
- Pravastatin (Pravachol)
- Rosuvastatin (Crestor)
- Simvastatin (Zocor)
Statin Drugs: A Surprising Cause of Diabetes
Statins have been shown to increase your risk of diabetes through a few different mechanisms. The most important one is that they increase insulin resistance, which can be extremely harmful to your health. Increased insulin resistance contributes to chronic inflammation in your body, and inflammation is the hallmark of most diseases. In fact, increased insulin resistance can lead to heart disease, which, ironically, is the primary reason for taking a cholesterol-reducing drug in the first place! It can also promote belly fat, high blood pressure, heart attacks, chronic fatigue, thyroid disruption, and diseases like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and cancer.
Secondly, statins increase your diabetes risk by actually raising your blood sugar. When you eat a meal that contains starches and sugar, some of the excess sugar goes to your liver, which then stores it away as cholesterol and triglycerides. Statins work by preventing your liver from making cholesterol. As a result, your liver returns the sugar to your bloodstream, which raises your blood sugar levels.
Now, it’s important to realize that drug-induced diabetes and genuine type 2 diabetes are not necessarily identical.
If you’re on a statin drug and find that your blood glucose is elevated, it’s possible that what you have is just hyperglycemia—a side effect, and the result of your medication. Unfortunately, many doctors will at that point mistakenly diagnose you with “type 2 diabetes,” and possibly prescribe another drug, when all you may need to do is simply discontinue the statin in order for your blood glucose levels to revert back to normal.
If You Take Statins, You MUST Take CoQ10
Statins deplete your body of CoQ10, which can have devastating results. If you take statin drugs without taking CoQ10, your health is at serious risk. CoQ10 is a cofactor (co-enzyme) that is essential for the creation of ATP molecules, which you need for cellular energy production. Organs such as your heart have higher energy requirements, and therefore require more CoQ10 to function properly. Produced mainly in your liver, it also plays a role in maintaining blood glucose.
Physicians rarely inform people of this risk and only occasionally advise them to take a CoQ10 supplement. As your body gets more and more depleted of CoQ10, you may suffer from fatigue, muscle weakness and soreness, and eventually heart failure.
Coenzyme Q10 is also very important in the process of neutralizing free radicals. So when your CoQ10 is depleted, you enter a vicious cycle of increased free radicals, loss of cellular energy, and damaged mitochondrial DNA. If you decide to take a CoQ10 supplement and are over the age of 40, it is important to choose the reduced version, called ubiquinol.
Statins Impair Numerous Biological Functions
Statins do reduce your body’s natural ability to create active vitamin D (1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol). This is the natural outcome of the drug’s cholesterol-reducing ability, because you need cholesterol to make vitamin D! It’s the raw material your body uses for vitamin D conversion after you’ve exposed your skin to sunlight.
Ninety-Nine Out of 100 People Do Not Need Statin Drugs
That these drugs have proliferated the market the way they have is a testimony to the power of marketing, corruption and corporate greed, because the odds are very high— greater than 100 to 1—that if you’re taking a statin, you don’t really need it. The ONLY subgroup that might benefit are those born with a genetic defect called familial hypercholesterolemia, as this makes them resistant to traditional measures of normalizing cholesterol.
And, even more importantly, cholesterol is NOT the cause of heart disease.
If your physician is urging you to check your total cholesterol, then you should know that this test will tell you virtually nothing about your risk of heart disease, unless it is 330 or higher. HDL percentage is a far more potent indicator for heart disease risk.
I have seen a number of people with total cholesterol levels over 250 who were actually at low risk for heart disease due to their elevated HDL levels. Conversely, I have seen many people with cholesterol levels under 200 who had a very high risk of heart disease, based on their low HDL. Your body NEEDS cholesterol—it is important in the production of cell membranes, hormones, vitamin D, and bile acids that help you to digest fat. Cholesterol also helps your brain form memories and is vital to your neurological function. There is also strong evidence that having too little cholesterol INCREASES your risk for cancer, memory loss, Parkinson’s disease, hormonal imbalances, stroke, depression, suicide, and violent behaviour.
2. How Does Nicotinic Acid Work?
Nicotinic acid (niacin) is a B-complex vitamin. It’s found in food, but is also available at high doses by prescription. It lowers LDL cholesterol and raises HDL cholesterol. The main side effects are flushing, itching, tingling and headache. Research has not shown that adding nicotinic acid to statin therapy is associated with a lower risk of heart disease.
3. How Do Bile Acid Resins Work?
These drugs work inside the intestine, where they bind to bile from the liver and prevent it from being reabsorbed into the circulatory system. Bile is made largely from cholesterol, so these drugs work by depleting the body’s supply of cholesterol. The most common side effects are constipation, gas and upset stomach. Examples of bile acid resins include:
- Questran and Questran Light
4. How Do Fibrates Work?
Fibrates reduce the production of triglycerides and can increase HDL cholesterol. Examples of fibrates include:
Ezetimibe (Zetia) lowers bad LDL cholesterol by blocking cholesterol absorption in the intestine. Research studies have not found that ezetimibe is associated with a lower risk of heart disease.
Some people with high cholesterol, other cholesterol problems, or some other medical conditions, achieve the best results with combination drugs — pills that contain more than one medication. Some examples include:
Advicor: Lovastatin and niacin (nicotinic acid)
What Are the Side Effects of Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs?
The side effects of cholesterol-lowering drugs may include:
- Muscle aches*
- Abnormal liver function
- Allergic reaction (skin rashes)
- Abdominal pain
- Decreased sexual desire
- Flushing with nicotinic acid
“Doctors and the public must be warned to immediately discontinue use of statin drugs at the onset of muscle pain, muscle tenderness, muscle weakness or tiredness.”
“Prompt cessation of the use of statins at the first sign of muscle pain, muscle tenderness, muscle weakness or tiredness and prompt evaluation by a physician including a blood test for creatine phosphokinase (a measure of muscle destruction) may avoid the progression to more extensive muscle damage, rhabdomyolysis and death.”
Lesser known Facts about CHOLESTROL
Present in every cell in the body, cholesterol is a fat-like substance produced by the liver. The body produces cholesterol as it is needed. In fact, approximately 85% of cholesterol is produced by the body and only 15% comes from food.
Cholesterol levels in our blood can vary at different times of the day. People tend to have higher levels of cholesterol in the winter than summer. The level of cholesterol rises high after surgery and dental work. It also goes up when we’re under stress and diminishes when we are happy and relaxed. The reason for the fluctuations is that cholesterol is a healing agent. When the body has some healing jobs to do, it produces cholesterol and sends it to the site of the damage.
One of the biggest causes of high levels of LDL cholesterol is general stress. Our stress hormones are made of cholesterol. When we experience stress, the liver sends cholesterol to the adrenal glands for stress hormone production. At the same time, a storm of free radicals and other damaging biochemical reactions occur in the blood. As a result, the liver works overtime to produce and send out as much cholesterol as possible to deal with the free radical attack. In these situations our blood cholesterol will measure high, which means that the body is dealing with some kind of damage or stress. Once the damage is dealt with, the blood cholesterol will diminish naturally. In cases of chronic illness the blood cholesterol is constantly high. Rather than attacking the cholesterol, what your doctor should do is look for the underlying illness or the cause of the cholesterol problem.
REGULATING CHOLESTEROL WITH HOMEOPATHY
Homeopathic treatment can help reduce the LDL cholesterol and increase HDL cholesterol by helping the body to heal the underlying illness. When the organism is healthy and balanced, the liver stops producing high levels of LDL because there is no longer healing work to be done.
Chronically high levels of LDL cholesterol in the blood are indicative of an underlying health problem that needs to be addressed. Consider homeopathic treatment in maintaining a happy, healthy lifestyle and optimum levels of blood cholesterol.
Leading Remedies in Homeopathy
- Curcuma drains the liver and cholesterol deposits.
- Fel tauri is an effective remedy in the treatment of high blood cholesterol. It treats a sluggish liver. It eliminates fat.
- Nux vomica removes liver toxicity. It treats indigestion caused by alcohol or food abuse. The patient awakes at 3 a.m.
- Chelidonium treats hepatic disorders. Recommended for fatty liver degeneration.
- Berberis is an excellent stimulant and drainer for the kidneys. The patient leads a sedentary lifestyle and has a big appetite.
- Cholesterinum stops the degeneration of arterial walls. It treats an enlarged liver and gallstone colic.
- Arsenicum album is indicated for insomnia after a big meal. The person wakes up between 3 and 5 a.m., feels drowsy during the day.
- Uranium nitricum treats high cholesterol with diabetes.
- CRATEAGUS OXYACANTHA : cardiac tonic especially for Artherosclerosis. Have a solvent power on deposits in the arteries, Urine diabetes.If you know that you started to have clogged arteries you can start to take Crataegus-mother tincture-15 drops/3times/daily for more than 3 months. Have a solvent power upon crustaceous and calcareous deposits in arteries.
- ADONIS VERNALIS : This homeopathic remedy is chosen if the muscles of the heart are in the stage of fatty degeneration, regulates the pulse and increase the power of contractions of the heart, with increase urinary secretions.
This homeopathy remedy is chosen for cholesterol associated with nervous symptoms. Remedy for destructive metabolism, yellow atrophy of the liver and sub-acute hepatitis. Blood extravasations; fatty degenerations, cirrhosis, caries, are pathological states often calling for Phosphorus.
Liver Drainage Remedies
- Carduus marianus
Natural Supplements for High Blood Cholesterol
- Coenzyme Q10 improves heart function.
- Lecithin helps lower high cholesterol.
- Vitamin E prevents the formation of blood clots.
- Red rice yeast reduces the amount of cholesterol.
- Soy protein helps lower bad fats in the bloodstream.
BRIEF INFORMATION ABOUT MALE PATTERN BALDNESS
- The adult human body has approximately 5 million hair of which about 80,000 to 1,50,000 are on the scalp.
- Hair is composed of a protein called keratin , hence it is important to take enough protein in your diet to prevent hair loss.
- Hair grows at the rate of half an inch per month. It grows best between the ages of 15 to 30. The total length to which the hair can grow is genetically determined, hence everyone cannot grow hair to the same length.
- There are 3 phases of the hair growth cycle: anagen, catagen and telogen. Anagen is the growth phase followed by catagen, a period of status quo wherin there is no growth as well as regression. Ultimately the hair follicle enters the telogen phase ,wherein the hair strand falls off and the follicle does not produce any new hair. Every hair goes through this cycle.
Common causes of male pattern baldness/androgenetic alopecia.
- Genetic history : 50%
- Skin disorders of the scalp : like seborrheic dermatitis ,eczema, etc…
- Mental stress
- Illnesses : like jaundice, malaria, typhoid.
- Frequent travelling involving a change of water or long term use of hard water is also a causative factor for hair loss.
- Certain allopathic drugs- like anti epileptic drugs, anti hypertensive , few antibiotics….
- Frequent use of ammonia based dyes etc….
Q.Why is there an increase in hairfall while washing?
A. The hair that fall during washing are in the telogen (terminal) phase and would have fallen anyways. Also,longer the time interval between the washes, greater is the fall, for then it is a cumulative fall.
Q. Can the amount of hair fall vary from time to time?
A. Yes. The hairs are in different phases of the cycle. Not all hair can be in the same phase at the same time. Thus while some hair are in the growth phase ,some are in the telogen phase …. Which are ultimately going to shed during combing or washing and this hair loss is normal.
Q. Does exercising cause hair loss ?
A. No. Research studies show that there is no relation of hair loss and exercise.
Q. How often should I wash my hair?
A. This depends from person to person according to the type of hair. For oily hair, it is important to wash daily. Similiarly , where the hair becomes sticky due to excessive sweating , it is important to wash daily. For dry hair, one can wash alternate days.
Q. How can I take care of my dull and dry hair?
A. Shiny hair is due a healthy cuticle. Dull hair is due to a damaged cuticle. This can be taken care with the use of mild conditioners and improving one’s diet to ensure the intake of adequate proteins ,vitamins and minerals.
Q. Why does hair loss carry so much of importance?
A. Although hair loss is not a disease, but yet causes a lot of suffering in a patient. Hairloss is regarded as a negative trait and is subconsciously associated with aging and loss of beauty. Hence, when hairloss is specially premature, it leads to lack of confidence and social withdrawal.
We all look forward to the summer – sunshine, school holidays, rest and relaxation. But the summer can bring its own problems and stresses with it. Homeopathy can help keep you healthy over the summer, making life easier for all the family.
From travel sickness and holiday accidents to common summer ailments such as hayfever there are hundreds of homeopathic remedies you can buy for the everyday stuff that causes you stress in the summer.
With homeopathy you know you are using natural medicines that work with your body, provide gentle relief and are safe for use by all the family, and safe to use with other medication. Homeopathy is different from conventional medicines – it works in a different way. It works with you, not against you. It’s natural and safe, with no known side-effects.
1. Common holiday remedies :
- Travel sickness? Nux-vomica 30c for dizziness with nausea or Ipecac 30c for deathly nausea and vomiting
- Fear of flying? Aconite 30c, before you leave and on the day you fly.
- Prone to jet-lag? Arnica 30c on the day you fly and when you get home
- Sun-burn & high temperatures? Belladonna 30c and a calendula-based cream
- Food-poisoning? Arsenicum 30c and drink plenty of water
- Nasty bites and stings? Apis 30c and a cold compress
- Sprains, twists and other accidents? Arnica 30c first, then Ruta-grav 6c to follow
- Prickly heat? – Nat mur 6c or Pulsatilla 6c and a calendula-based cream
2. Seasonal allergies and hayfever:
Homeopathy can help with chronic illness such as allergies and has a good track record in this area. The following remedies can help the symptoms:
- Streaming sore nose, drips like a tap? Nat-mur 6c six times a day
- Sneezing,itching in nose ? Sabadilla 30 three times a day.
- Cold and burning in eyes ? Justicia and euphrasia 30 three times a day.
3. Skin care —
- Prickly heat.-This is characterised by small eruptions all over the body with itching and burning sensations. Avoid synthetic clothes. Loose fitting cotton clothes help the skin to breathe. Kali bich is a good remedy to reduce these eruptions. Sulphur and Psorinum are also effective remedies for prickly heat.
- Skin tan or hyperpigmentation. This occurs due to increased production of melanin. The skin looks blotchy and uneven. Apply a sunscreen lotion daily . Avoid using perfumes while going out in the sun as it could irritate the skin. A detailed evaluation with a homeopathic physician is suggested. Application of lime juice or raw potato paste on the affected part helps in lightening the skin.
- Cool Fundas
— Drink plenty of fluids
— Include salads and fruits in your diet
— Avoid oily and greasy food
— Take a cold shower twice a day
— Wash your face often with cold water
— Wear loose fitting, cotton clothes to help the skin breathe
— Use sun screen while going out
— Use sun glasses to protect eyes from the harsh rays of the sun
— Exercise regularly