Constipation and Homeopathy
It is said that 80% of ones immunity lies in the gut .
Constipation is one such common symptom which can hamper our daily routine and ease.
Most of us have faced this symptom some time in our lives but what is the exact meaning of constipation ??
You are said to have constipation if you have two or more of following for atleast 3months :
- Straining during a bowel movement more than 25% of the time
- Hard stools more than 25% of the time
- Incomplete evacuation more than 25% of the time.
- Passing stools twice or even less in a week.
Common causes of Constipation are :
- Inadequate fibre or roughage in your diet
- Inadequate fluid intake
- Irregular diet and frequent travelling
- Not going for stools when the urge is there…very common in children and adults
- Neurological conditions like parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Overuse of laxatives which over time weaken the bowel muscles
- Colon cancer
- Drugs like iron tablets etc…
- Bloated feeling of abdomen
- Uneasiness and pain in the lower abdomen.
- Difficulty in passing stools
- Vomiting occ
Most of the time a change is our lifestyle helps in relieving constipation but sometimes investigations are required .
- Colonoscopy to look for obstruction in the large intestine.
- Blood test to rule out Thyroid function.
- Barium studies
Homeopathy has an important role to play in treating Constipation. Homeopathic medicines gently bring back the funcitoning of the bowels back to normal.It not only improves the stool but also regularises the bowel movements and reduces the dependency on laxatives and purgatives.
Constitutional Homoeopathic medicines treats the cause of constipation and hence improves the overall health of the indivual.
Few Homeopathic remedies for constipation :
- NUX VOM : Constipation due to irregular lifestyle and irregular eating habits. Stressful ,hurry worry routine in ambitious and workholic people.Stools are incomplete with ineffectual urge to go stools often.
- SULPHUR : Incomplete stools ,have to rush to the toilet as soon as he gets up .Also insufficient and unsatisfactory stools . Stools are dry ,hard and have to strain especially initially with burning and itching at the anus.
- Bryonia :Large, dry, hard ,knotted stool as if burnt is the book picture of Bryonia.No urge for stool and dryness of the rectum. stools are passed with great difficulty.Often helpful in children with constipation .
- OPIUM : Here the constipation is due to absolute inactivity of the rectum.No urge whatsoever and slow peristalsis.Stools are impacted,hard,dry black balls.
- PLUMBUM MET: Here there is some intestinal activity.Lead colic is one of the effects of the drug.There is loss of muscular activity and diminished secretion of intestinal glands.
- ALUMINA : one of the important medicines for constipation where even soft stool needs straining.Dryness of the rectum with diminished peristaltic movement.very useful for constipation of infants and children
Many patients suffering from constipation have been treated successfully at ‘Care N Cure” Homoeopathic clinic.Also these Homoeopathic medicines are not habit forming.
However, the importance of balanced regular diet,exercise and lots of fluids cannot be overemphasized when it come to managing constipation . So, it is suggested that people suffering from constipation will definately find solution in Homeopathy.
Get the facts about Cholesterol
The other the day I had organized a camp along with one of the reputed labs at my clinic .The camp offered important blood investigations like Lipid profile, liver markers, kidney functions, blood sugar levels , vitamin b12 etc.. for a much affordable price ….and (hence) not surprisingly, I had a very good response. As I went through the reports of each of these patients, I saw there was a lot of curiosity in the patients regarding the lipid profile or the cholesterol values…. and so many were already on conventional medicines having accepted the side effects of the same. There were common questions asked like what are Triglycerides, LDL, HDL..,? What is the cause of the rise in these values especially when I don’t even have junk food or processed foo d…etc.. When I am not even overweight? What should I eat? What should I not eat? etc…
I realised that LIPIDS /Cholesterol has lots of facets to it .Apart from the values, understanding it in totality is what is required .Like there is no point being happy if a person is highly obese ,lets say weighing more than 100kgs and his reports show normal triglycerides.!!! And that is what we have to take care.. Normal reports does not mean that one is not prone for the risks or complications and that is what precisely I want to put across..
Hence it is important to understand CHOLESTEROL in a collective manner.
CHOLESTEROL (chole in Greek means bile and stereos means solid, stiff) , in most simple terms means ‘Fat/Lipid’ produced in the liver and the normal levels of which help in the proper functioning of the body. The Cholesterol is carried in the blood by molecules called lipoproteins containing lipid(fat) and protein.
They are of 3types :
• LDL- referred as bad cholesterol,
• HDL referred as good cholesterol and
• Triglycerides – these are the chemical forms in which most fat exists in the body, as well as in food. They are present in blood plasma. Triglycerides, in association with cholesterol, form the plasma lipids (blood fat).
Triglycerides in plasma originate either from fats in our food, or are made in the body from other energy sources, such as carbohydrates. Calories we consume, are not used immediately by our tissues are converted into triglycerides and stored in fat cells. When your body needs energy and there is no food as an energy source, triglycerides will be released from fat cells and used as energy.
Functions of Cholestrol :
It is essential for production of sex hormones(androgens and estrogens)
Converts sunshine to Vitamin D,
Aids in the production of bile salts that help in digesting fat.
So, “NOT ALL FAT IS BAD”.
Healthier Fats : include monounsaturated fats(MUFA) and polyunsaturated fats (PUFA).
MUFA is found in paenuts, olives,almonds ,peanut oil and also rice bran oil. PUFA contain omega-3(present in walnuts, flax seeds, fish and fish oils) and omega-6(found in sunflower, safflower (kardi) and soy bean oils) . These fats reduce the ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol in your blood and increase the ‘good’ HDL cholesterol. This helps to lower your risk of getting heart disease.
Unhealthy fats include saturated fats and Trans fats. Too much saturated and trans fat contributes to the build up of fatty material, called plaque, on the inside of your blood vessels (ARTHEROSCLEROSIS) and also causes hardening of the arteries and is a major cause of heart disease, obesity, blood pressure etc. These fats can increase LDL cholesterol in our blood that leads to the plaque. Lowering saturated fat in the diet will help to lower LDL cholesterol. So cut down on processed food, ready to cook food, junk food pizzas ,burgers, fries, re fried items ,biscuits .Transfats are commonly used by restaurants, fast food chains. Always see the trans fat value in any food product .
Now, sometimes we see, inspite of maintaining a healthy lifestyle the cholesterol levels are high.
So, there has to be something more that can cause the rise in Cholesterol values .What causes high cholesterol?
- Lifestyle causes
- Nutrition –as above mentioned
- Sedentary lifestyle - people who do not exercise and spend most of their time sitting/lying down have significantly higher levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) and lower levels of HDL (good cholesterol).
- Obesity- people who are overweight/obese are much more likely to have higher LDL levels and lower HDL levels, compared to those who are of normal weight.
- Smoking – this can have quite a considerable effect on LDL levels.
- Alcohol – people who consume too much alcohol regularly, generally have much higher levels of LDL and much lower levels of HDL, compared to people who abstain or those who drink in moderation .
- 2.Treatable medical conditions: These medical conditions are known to cause LDL levels to rise. They are all conditions which can be controlled medically (with the help of your doctor, they do not need to be contributory factors):
- High blood pressure (hypertension).
- High levels of triglycerides.
- Kidney diseases.
- Liver diseases.
- Under-active thyroid gland.
- 3.Risk factors which cannot be treated:
- Genes – people with close family members who have had either coronary heart disease or stroke have a greater risk of high blood cholesterol levels.
- Gender-Men have a greater chance of having high blood cholesterol levels than women.
- Age – as you get older your chances of developing atherosclerosis increase.
- Early menopause
- Certain ethnic groups – people from the Indian sub-continent (Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka) are more susceptible to having higher cholesterol levels, compared to other people.
Cholesterol is tested by taking a fasting (9-12hrs fasting without any food, liquids or pills ) blood sample . It gives information about total cholesterol, LDL (bad) cholesterol, HDL (good) cholesterol and triglycerides.
||Less than 200mg/dl
||240mg/dl and above
||60mg/dl and above is protective against heart disease
||Less than 40mg/dl(Men) and less than 50 (Women)
The next question arises, then what should I eat …HOW TO EAT FAT ??
- For a lean, toned healthy body with a shiny skin and lustrous hair ,eat wisely. Eat atleast 3meals.Its not enough to eat food cooked in oil. Include nuts, flax seeds, cheese or any dairy product in your diet. They can often make up a minimeal by itself.
- Use oil as cooking medium – preferably different kinds of oil.
- Myth about Ghee : Now Ghee is basically clarified butter obtained after milk is taken through a process of curdling and heating .Ghee has a short chain fatty acids .These are easy to digest and promote good health. As a general rule, animal fats are tough on the body ,while the ones found in dairy products are easily absorbed.
- To have an anti ageing face, firstly work at keeping your body weight to optimum. Also include healthy fats like nuts(walnuts, almonds, peanuts), paneer, fish, ghee. Including healthy fats provides your facial skin with moisture and also keeps your skin away from wrinkling.
- Limit deep fried stuff – Deep fried at home is better than outside, as at home, the oil is not reused and the soda and excess salt is missing .Eat immediately after frying and ya, if you think that removing the oil of these snacks using tissue paper or napkin will help, then it is not TRUE !!It does not remove any oil…so limit deepfrying – say to once a month.
I think , I have been able to give you some understanding about FATS OR CHOLESTROL .The side effects of few drugs on cholesterol , and the side effects of cholesterol lowering drugs shall be mentioned in my next article.
CINNAMON AND HONEY !!
Drug companies won’t like this one getting around. Facts on Honey and Cinnamon: It is found that a mix of honey and cinnamon cures most diseases. Honey is produced in most of the countries of the world. Scientists of today also note honey as very effective medicine for all kinds of diseases. Honey can be used without side effects which is also a plus. Today’s science says that even though honey is sweet, when it is taken in the right dosage as a medicine, it does not harm even diabetic patients.
Researched by western scientists:
HEART DISEASES: Make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder, put it on toast instead of jelly and jam and eat it regularly for breakfast. It reduces the cholesterol and could potentially save one from heart attack. Also, even if you have already had an attack studies show you could be kept miles away from the next attack. Regular use of cinnamon honey strengthens the heart beat. In America and Canada, various nursing homes have treated patients successfully and have found that as one ages the arteries and veins lose their flexibility and get clogged; honey and cinnamon revitalize the arteries and the veins.
ARTHRITIS: Arthritis patients can benefit by taking one cup of hot water with two tablespoons of honey and one small teaspoon of cinnamon powder. When taken daily even chronic arthritis can be cured. In a recent research conducted at the Copenhagen University, it was found that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one tablespoon Honey and half teaspoon Cinnamon powder before breakfast, they found that within a week (out of the 200 people so treated) practically 73 patients were totally relieved of pain — and within a month, most all the patients who could not walk or move around because of arthritis now started walking without pain.
BLADDER INFECTIONS: Take two tablespoons of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it. It destroys the germs in the bladder….who knew?
CHOLESTEROL: Two tablespoons of honey and three teaspoons of Cinnamon Powder mixed in 16 ounces of tea water given to a cholesterol patient was found to reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood by 10 percent . As mentioned for arthritic patients, when taken three times a day, any chronic cholesterol-could be cured. According to information received in the said Journal, pure honey taken with food daily relieves complaints of cholesterol.
COLDS: Those suffering from common or severe colds should take one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 spoon cinnamon powder daily for three days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold, and, clear the sinuses, and it’s delicious too!
UPSET STOMACH: Honey taken with cinnamon powder cures stomach ache and also is said to clear stomach ulcers from its root.
GAS: According to the studies done in India and Japan, it is revealed that when Honey is taken with cinnamon powder the stomach is relieved of gas.
IMMUNE SYSTEM: Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacterial and viral attacks. Scientists have found that honey has various vitamins and iron in large amounts. Constant use of Honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles (where DNA is contained) to fight bacterial and viral diseases.
INDIGESTION: Cinnamon powder sprinkled on two tablespoons of honey taken before food is eaten relieves acidity and digests the heaviest of meals
INFLUENZA: A scientist in Spain has proved that honey contains a natural ‘Ingredient’ which kills the influenza germs and saves the patient from flu.
LONGEVITY: Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder, when taken regularly, arrests the ravages of old age. Use four teaspoons of honey, one teaspoon of cinnamon powder, and three cups of boiling water to make a tea. Drink 1/4 cup, three to four times a day. It keeps the skin fresh and soft and arrests old age. Life spans increase and even a 100 year old will start performing the chores of a 20-year-old.
RASPY OR SORE THROAT: When throat has a tickle or is raspy, take one tablespoon of honey and sip until gone. Repeat every three hours until throat is without symptoms.
PIMPLES: Three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder paste. Apply this paste on the pimples before sleeping and wash it off the next morning with warm water. When done daily for two weeks, it removes all pimples from the root.
SKIN INFECTIONS:Applying honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts on the affected parts cures eczema, ringworm and all types of skin Infections.
WEIGHT LOSS: Daily in the morning one half hour before breakfast and on an empty stomach, and at night before sleeping, drink honey and cinnamon powder boiled in one cup of water. When taken regularly, it reduces the weight of even the most obese person. Also, drinking this mixture regularly does not allow the fat to accumulate in the body even though the person may eat a high calorie diet.
FATIGUE: Recent studies have shown that the sugar content of honey is more helpful rather than being detrimental to the strength of the body. Senior citizens who take honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts are more alert and flexible. Dr. Milton, who has done research, says that a half tablespoon of honey taken in a glass of water and sprinkled with cinnamon powder, even when the vitality of the body starts to decrease, when taken daily after brushing and in the afternoon at about 3:00 P.M., the vitality of the body increases within a week.
BAD BREATH: People of South America, gargle with one teaspoon of honey and cinnamon powder mixed in hot water first thing in the morning so their breath stays fresh throughout the day. HEARING LOSS: Daily morning and night honey and cinnamon powder, taken in equal parts restores hearing. CIN
‘Navratri’ is specifically known for worshipping goddess Durga. Dandiya and Garba Rass are the highlights of the festival in Gujarat, while farmer sow seeds and thank the Goddess for her blessings and pray for better yield.
Navratri is usually accompanied by a change in weather which generally affects the body’s ability to fight diseases. Also people after their regular whole day of work play Garba raas at night which goes on till the wee hours in the morning and hence there is a total disturbance in their daily routine. Under such circumstances the immunity tends to slighty fall inviting some common ailments like fever, cough and cold etc…
Some of the common ailments during these 9days of Navratri are :
- Dust allergy: Due to the exposure of dust while playing Dandiya and Garba ,many people tend to suffer from dust allergy which include symptoms like incessant sneezing, runny nose, stuffy nose ,irritation in the ears,nose. Take Sabadilla 30 3pills three times a day and Hepar Sulph 30 3pills three/day for throat irritation.
- .Cracks on feet : As they dance bare feet on ground , many are prone to get cracks on their feet. Treat it by putting feet in warm water containing salt and later apply Petroleum 30 ointment twice/day.
- Acidity ,Indigestion: Due to late nights and irregular routine , one is prone for heartburn, gas formation . Take Nux vomica 30 3pills three times a day.
- Nickel allergy : Wearing artificial jewellery may not suit all, Some may get rashes,redness and itching. Take Graphites 30 3pills three/day.
- Take Berberis Aquifolium 30 twice a day to have a clear spotless skin. Always wash off the make up before going to bed.
Moreover, eat small quantities of food at regular intervals even if you are fasting to make this navratri joyful and healthy.
So,have a safe and happy Navratri 2013 !!