Constipation and Homeopathy
It is said that 80% of ones immunity lies in the gut .
Constipation is one such common symptom which can hamper our daily routine and ease.
Most of us have faced this symptom some time in our lives but what is the exact meaning of constipation ??
You are said to have constipation if you have two or more of following for atleast 3months :
- Straining during a bowel movement more than 25% of the time
- Hard stools more than 25% of the time
- Incomplete evacuation more than 25% of the time.
- Passing stools twice or even less in a week.
Common causes of Constipation are :
- Inadequate fibre or roughage in your diet
- Inadequate fluid intake
- Irregular diet and frequent travelling
- Not going for stools when the urge is there…very common in children and adults
- Neurological conditions like parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Overuse of laxatives which over time weaken the bowel muscles
- Colon cancer
- Drugs like iron tablets etc…
- Bloated feeling of abdomen
- Uneasiness and pain in the lower abdomen.
- Difficulty in passing stools
- Vomiting occ
Most of the time a change is our lifestyle helps in relieving constipation but sometimes investigations are required .
- Colonoscopy to look for obstruction in the large intestine.
- Blood test to rule out Thyroid function.
- Barium studies
Homeopathy has an important role to play in treating Constipation. Homeopathic medicines gently bring back the funcitoning of the bowels back to normal.It not only improves the stool but also regularises the bowel movements and reduces the dependency on laxatives and purgatives.
Constitutional Homoeopathic medicines treats the cause of constipation and hence improves the overall health of the indivual.
Few Homeopathic remedies for constipation :
- NUX VOM : Constipation due to irregular lifestyle and irregular eating habits. Stressful ,hurry worry routine in ambitious and workholic people.Stools are incomplete with ineffectual urge to go stools often.
- SULPHUR : Incomplete stools ,have to rush to the toilet as soon as he gets up .Also insufficient and unsatisfactory stools . Stools are dry ,hard and have to strain especially initially with burning and itching at the anus.
- Bryonia :Large, dry, hard ,knotted stool as if burnt is the book picture of Bryonia.No urge for stool and dryness of the rectum. stools are passed with great difficulty.Often helpful in children with constipation .
- OPIUM : Here the constipation is due to absolute inactivity of the rectum.No urge whatsoever and slow peristalsis.Stools are impacted,hard,dry black balls.
- PLUMBUM MET: Here there is some intestinal activity.Lead colic is one of the effects of the drug.There is loss of muscular activity and diminished secretion of intestinal glands.
- ALUMINA : one of the important medicines for constipation where even soft stool needs straining.Dryness of the rectum with diminished peristaltic movement.very useful for constipation of infants and children
Many patients suffering from constipation have been treated successfully at ‘Care N Cure” Homoeopathic clinic.Also these Homoeopathic medicines are not habit forming.
However, the importance of balanced regular diet,exercise and lots of fluids cannot be overemphasized when it come to managing constipation . So, it is suggested that people suffering from constipation will definately find solution in Homeopathy.