Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a combination of physical, emotional, psychological and mood disturbances that occur after a womens ovulation and typically ends with the onset of menstrual flow.
About 90% of women experience PMS , in varying intensity at some point in their lifetime.However, it is generally most severe in women in their 40’s.
Cause of PMS, is exactly not known,but most evidence suggests that PMS results from alterations in hormones namely oestrogen and progesterone and the brain chemicals known as neurotransmitters.
The most common symptoms are :
- Fatigue ,Headache
- Bloating ( due to fluid retention)
- Weight gain.
- Breast pain
- Depression, irritability, mood changes.
- oversensitivity, crying
- Appetite changes with overeating or food cravings.
- Sleep disturbances.
While there are no laboratory or blood investigations done to know whether the woman has PMS, but if the changes ( emotional and physical) occur consistently around ovulation and persists until menstrual flow begins,then PMS is probably the diagnosis !
Laboratory tests are done to exclude other conditions like hypothyroidism, depression , Irritable bowel syndrome …that can mimic PMS.
While General Management includes a healthy lifestyle like exercise, reducing caffeine,excess sugars and salt before menstrual period ….there are a few who may need medication.
While modern medication uses a range of medicines like Diuretics, anti depressants , analgesics and oral contraceptive pills….. Homoeopathy is a good option …especially as it treats without any side effects !!
Homoeopathy , a system of medicine invented about 200yrs ago by Dr.Samuel Hahnemann, is a system of natural medicine, which encourages the body to rebalance itself rather than giving artificial hormones! It is safe, gentle and non invasive way of treatment and effective in treating the emotional and mental symptoms as well. It needs a detailed case history covering the chief symptoms and also an overview of all body systems and health history of your family. Based on this information collected, a single remedy is selected which is specific to the person , which stimulates your body ‘s natural immune or healing system. Hence one person may benefit from a medicine like Pulsatilla , and the other may be better with Sepia …
Here are a few Homoeopathic remedies for PMS:
- Calcarea Carb: The menstrual cycle is typically abnormal, often coming on too early and lasting too long. PMS symptoms typically include fatigue, weight gain, water retention, and tender breasts. Often feelings of being overwhelmed and/or anxious will accompany the physical symptoms. Other symptoms indicating Calcarea include a general feeling of chilliness, clammy hands and feet, and extreme hunger.
- Chamomilla in cases where pain seems unbearable. Patients requiring Chamomilla are likely to be angry, irritable and sensitive to the extreme. The menstrual flow itself is typically heavy, and the blood may look dark or clotted.Vigorous walking or moving around in other ways may help relieve the pain .
- Lachesis is fiery, intense and sensual, desperately needing an outlet , to talk and talk. Women who suffer acutely from premenstrual discomfort, but feel much better once the flow is established, may benefit from this remedy. Other guiding symptoms include flushes of heat, headache, increased sex drive, left sided complaints, palpitations and an inability to tolerate tight clothing around the neck or waist.With its broad sphere of action over the female organism, Sepia is one of the more frequently prescribed remedies in cases of menstrual irregularities. Women requiring Sepia are irritable, indifferent and disconnected. Guiding symptoms include painful, late, or suppressed menstruation, chilliness, perspiring, headache before, during or after menses, varicosities and constipation. In Sepia there is often a feeling that the pelvic floor is weak, to the point that she will want to sit with her legs crossed.While a well chosen homeopathic medicine can do wonders, often within 2- 3cyles, it is also important to improve the quality of diet. So , as mentioned above elminate the processed or refined food and go organic , with diet consisting of whole grains, fruits ,vegetables.Also, supplements like Vit b6- Pyridoxine , has a mild diuretic effect and is knownfor treating PMS-related breast swelling and pain as well as water retention. Vitamin B6 also enhances absorption and retention of magnesium in the body. Magnesium supplements reduces constipation, cramping , headache and nervousness associated with menstrual cycle.Omega 3 also is known to reduce menstrual cramps.Lastly a healthy and positive attitude towards life , exercises and embracing the change in our lives and our body can reap huge benefits .