HOMOEOPATHY FOR MENOPAUSE
A lot has been talked about Menopause and its vague symptoms and so commonly I am asked , whether Homoeopathy has any remedy for Menopause.!! And the answer is undoubtedly YES !!
As we all know ,
Menopause is the time in a woman’s life when she stops having menstrual periods permanently.
It’s one of the natural stages in a woman’s life in which the body adapts gradually to the changes of ovarian decline. It is not a disease but a natural transition, just like starting the menstrual cycle during puberty. Instead of gearing up for pregnancy and childbirth, the reproductive system is gradually winding down. As we age, the ovaries will produce less and less oestrogen until they produce so little oestrogen that menstruating ceases altogether – usually in the early 50.
It takes place around the age of 50 in most women,but can also occur at the age of 40. At the time of menopause, many changes occur in the body.For some women, this may be an asymptomatic process, but for the majority, symptoms do vary. Symptoms, such as:
- Vaso dilatory -Hot flushes,common in about 75% women
- Profuse sweating
- Mood swings,irritability
- Sleep disturbance.
- Painful intercourse,vaginitis,vaginal dryness.
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Hair loss,dry skin
. Over the years, the changes also raise a woman’s risk of serious health problems. These include:
- the bone-thinning disease called osteoporosis
- high cholesterol
- heart disease.
- The most common treatment for menopause is to make up for the body’s reduced production of estrogen. This is done by giving prescription medicines. This approach is known as hormone replacement therapy, or HRT.
HRT for menopause is quite controversial, even in the allopathic medical world, because of the serious health risks and undesirable “side effects” of taking estrogen. Its long-term safety and efficacy remain a matter of great concern. Their own list of concerns includes:
- weight gain,
- irritability and, rarely, depression.
- For the first three to six months, vaginal spotting occurs in 30% to 50% of women taking continuous estrogen and progestin.
- The most common side affects:
- the increased risk of developing breast cancer (by 25% and worse in women if there is current cancer or a family history), and
- Uterine cancer by up to eight fold in women with an intact uterus;
- Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding;
- Acute liver disease;
- Gall bladder disease;
- Pancreatic disease;
- blood clots;
- Heart attack.
From a homeopathic perspective it is important to establish the underlying causes of why women are struggling through the menopause with all kinds of distressing symptoms. Some the main causes can be found in the following:
- synthetic oestrogens and progesterone.
Homeopathy along with diet, nutrition and herbs can rebalance the female hormonal system that is profoundly affected by the use of synthetic oestrogens and progesterone (as found in contraceptive pills and HRT).
Homeopathy is the safest treatment before, during, and after menopause because it stimulates the natural hormonal balance without the use of harmful drugs. Constitutional homeopathic treatment is best during the transitional period of menopause in order to balance hormonal levels and cure the many accompanying symptoms. You cannot address the complex of these symptoms as separate from the whole individual; for this reason true classical homeopathic prescribing is highly recommended for the treatment of menopause.
Some of the commonly prescribed Homoeopathic medicines fore menopause are :
LACH, CIMICIFUGA, GRAPHITES , IGNATIA, KALI CARB, PULSTAILLA and many more. Each of these and many other medicines need to be differentiated and then prescribed.
A practically trained homeopath will use a structured, systematic and non-invasive approach which supports the natural self-healing process to rebalance the endocrine system so that symptoms ease and fade away.